What is Lyrica 25 mg?
Lyrica 25mg contains a generic drug called Pregabalin that is used to treat neuropathic pain either caused due to spinal cord injury or due to pain caused by nerve damage in patients suffering from diabetes or Herpes zoster. Lyrica is also used in other conditions are fibromyalgia and epileptic seizures.
How does Lyrica 25 mg work?
Lyrica 25mg belongs to the class of antiepileptic drugs, which acts by binding to delta subunit of alpha-2 receptors of calcium channels leading to decreased calcium entry into nerve endings, which decreases the release of glutamate from nerve ending resulting in relief from neuropathic pain.
What is the dosing regimen of Lyrica 25 mg?
Commercially, Lyrica is accessible in a capsule dosage form. The dosing regimen for different conditions is:
- Dosing regimen for the treatment of diabetic peripheral neuropathy: The patient should take 100mg of Lyrica thrice a day by oral route.
- Dosing regimen for the treatment of nerve pain associated with spinal cord injury: The Patient should take 150mg to 600mg of Lyrica orally in a day.
- Dose for the treatment of fibromyalgia: The patient should take 300mg to 450mg of Lyrica orally in a day.
- As an adjunctive therapy for patients suffering from partial-onset seizures: The patient should take 150 to 600 mg of Lyrica in a day, with ample amount of water.
What should you do in case of missed dose of Lyrica 25 mg?
Take the missed dose as soon as possible. Skip the missed dose if it is already time for the next dose. Do not take extra dose to make up for the missed dose.
What should you do in case of overdose of Lyrica 25 mg?
In case of overdose, seek medical attention immediately.
What are the Contraindications of Lyrica 25 mg?
The conditions under which Lyrica 25 mg should not be taken are:
- If you are allergic to any constituent present in the drug
- Low platelet level
- Congestive heart failure
- Renal and hepatic disorder
- Any bleeding disorder
What are the possible Drug Interactions of Lyrica 25 mg?
Lyrica may show drug interaction with the following drugs:
- Cardiovascular drugs such as ACE inhibitors (Enalapril, Captopril)
- Antidepressants and sedatives
- Narcotic analgesics
- Thiazolidinedione antidiabetic agents (Rosiglitazone)
What are the storage conditions for Lyrica 25 mg?
Keep Lyrica 25mg at normal room temperature in a cool and dry place. Keep this medicine away from the reach of children and pets.
What are the possible side effects of Lyrica 25 mg?
The common side effects of Lyrica include blurred vision, constipation, dizziness, drowsiness, fatigue, cognitive disturbance and confusion.
What are the precautions to be taken while using Lyrica 25 mg?
- Do not consume alcohol while taking Lyrica 25mg.
- Do not drive or operate heavy machinery while using Lyrica.
- Pregnant women and lactating mothers should consult their doctor before using Lyrica.